Inspiring • Authentic • Tailor-Made

01892 515 966

Advice for travellers to the EU after Brexit


As the debate over Brexit continues, we are being asked lots of questions from clients about how this may affect their travel plans. Although the negotiation process is ongoing, ABTA has issued advice that travellers may wish to take in advance to help avoid unnecessary disruption to their travel plans in the event of a no-deal scenario.


I have booked my 2019 holiday with Pettitts Travel and paid my deposit. With fluctuations in exchange rates, could the price of my holiday increase after Brexit?

As per our usual booking terms, prices quoted are fully guaranteed against any surcharge, for any reason, once your deposit has been paid.


Will flights be grounded if we have a no-deal situation?

UK citizens can be reassured that planes will continue to fly between the UK and the EU, regardless of the Brexit outcome.


Will I need a visa to travel to the EU after the UK leaves?

You should not need a visa to travel to the EU after Brexit. The European Commission announced in November 2018 that, even in a no-deal scenario, UK travellers can still visit the EU without a visa, providing the same is offered to European citizens visiting the UK. The European Commission has said that from 2021, UK citizens will need to pay a fee of around 7 Euros for this visa exemption.


How long do I need left on my passport to travel to the EU?

When travelling to the EU after the UK leaves, the UK government recommends that you have six months left on your passport on the date of your arrival to an EU country. If you renewed a 10 year old adult passport before it expired, extra months may have been added to your passport’s expiry date. These extra months over 10 years will not count towards the 6 months that must be remaining.


How do I know if my passport is valid to travel to an EU country?

To check the validity of your passport under these new rules, please click here.


Will my European Health Card (EHIC) be valid after the UK leaves the EU?

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid. ABTA has always advised holidaymakers and business travellers to make sure they have appropriate travel insurance, whether they have an EHIC card or not, as there are limitations to the EHIC. When travelling in the EU and beyond, it is important you take out travel insurance and check that it covers your current circumstances, including any medical conditions.


Will my UK driving licence be valid in the EU after Brexit?

In the event of a no-deal scenario, UK travellers looking to drive in the EU may need to apply for the relevant International Driving Permit.

These cost £5.50 and are available directly from the Post Office. Check carefully which permit is required for each country you intend to drive within, as you may need more than one permit to comply with the law. More information is available here.


Will I still be able to drive my car within the EU?

If the UK leaves without a deal, UK citizens driving their vehicle within the EU would be required to obtain and carry a physical Green Card in order for your UK car insurance to be applicable in the EU. These cards would be issued by insurers and you may be charged a small fee to cover administration costs.


Will data roaming still cost the same as in the UK when we leave the EU?

Under EU rules, the cost of making calls, sending messages or using the internet on your phone in the EU is the same in the UK. If the UK leaves without a deal these rules will no longer apply – however, some UK companies have said they may continue to offer this benefit to their customers.

Keep In Touch With Pettitts Travel

Sign up for our weekly travel ideas by email, keeping you up to date and inspiring you with ideas, information and suggestions for your next holiday.

Sign Up

Follow Us

Head Office: 8-9 Orchard Business Centre, North Farm Road, Royal Tunbridge Wells Kent, TN2 3XF

Contact Us

Contact Us

01892 515 966


Speak to one of our Travel Consultants (* fields are required)

I would like to receive news and special offers